Updated 01/23/2013 09:30 PM
Cause of Newark Valley fire that took firefighter’s life released
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
NEWARK VALLEY, N.Y. – We have learned the cause of the fire that took an Owego fireman's life earlier this week. Investigators say it was electrical in nature and actually started in a shed next to the home on Chamberlain Road.
In that shed, they say there were three lamps plugged into outlets providing heat to the space. They're not sure if it was faulty wiring or other problems that caused the fire, but high winds caused the flames to spread to the house.
The Newark Valley Fire Department was the first on the scene, then Owego responded.
It was two Owego firefighters, Captain Matthew Porcari and Lt. Daniel Gavin, who were inside when a floor collapsed beneath them. Porcari was killed, while Gavin survived.
Wednesday, flags outside the Owego Fire Department were at half-staff in Porcari's honor.
A wreath and photos from a candlelight vigil also remain next to the firefighter's fountain in the village.