WATERTOWN, N.Y. -- Multiple crews worked to put out a fire in a store at the Salmon Run Mall in Watertown early Saturday morning.
Fire officials say a light fixture overheated at Dick's Sporting Goods around 4:30 a.m., causing plastic to drip onto a clothing rack underneath it. The rack of clothes and merchandise then caught fire setting off the sprinkler system.
"Potentially a serious fire for the Salmon Run Mall because this building is connected to the mall. One thing we can say is the sprinkler system did its job. It contained the fire until we got here and put it out," said Town of Watertown Fire Chief Charlie Dillon.
There was extensive smoke damage throughout the store which took a couple of hours to ventilate. No other stores in the mall were damaged, and no one was injured in the fire.