The Car Coach: Terrafugia
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
The 2012 Transition Street-Legal Airplane is a practical answer to the futuristic concept of the flying car. Let’s take a closer look.
Terrafugia is a growing aerospace company founded by pilots and engineers from MIT. The company’s name is Latin for “escape the earth.” Terrafugia’s mission is to design and deliver revolutionary, practical air and land vehicles that provide freedom, flexibility and fun to their customers.
The Transition combines the unique convenience of being able to fold its wings with the ability to drive on any surface road in a modern personal airplane platform. Stowing the wings for road use and deploying them for flight at the airport is activated from inside the cockpit.
Light Sport Aircraft (LSA)
• 35 mpg
• Gross Takeoff Weight: 1,430 lbs
• Rear-wheel drive on the ground?
• Automotive-style entry and exit?
• Two place, side by side
• Automated electromechanical folding wing ?
• No trailer or hangar needed?
• Cargo area holds golf clubs
• Drive on roads in case of inclement weather?
• Proven 100 hp Rotax 912ULS engine?
• Full vehicle parachute available?
• Modern glass avionics?
• Automotive crash safety features
Become a Sport Pilot in as little as 20 hours of flight time in a Transition-specific course. For existing pilots, get comfortable quickly with the familiarization training included with every Transition delivery.
The anticipated base price is $279,000.
The new 2012 Transition Street-Legal Airplane could be the future of travel.